I failed for a test, now what?
After failing your first attempt at any of the microbial tests, you have several options under the OCP rules. Their guidance document can be found here.
In general, these are your options for microbial tests:
- If plant material failed for any of the microbial tests you may move the flower/trim to manufacturing and remediate it through extraction. No additional testing is necessary.
- You may perform some remediation technique (ozone, irradiation, additional drying, etc.) or simply retest and attempt to pass.
- Submit two separate samples at the required sampling amount
- If you failed for Yeast and Mold - Retest both packages for Yeast and Mold + Mycotoxins
- If you failed for any of the microbials (total coliforms, enterobacter, total aerobic, salmonella, E. coli) - Retest both packages for ALL 5 categories of microbial.
- If you failed any of the microbials and Yeast and Mold - Retest all 6 microbial tests + Mycotoxins on both packages
Heavy Metals and Pesticides
When failing for heavy metals and pesticides you cannot remediate however, you can retest. Resubmit your sample in duplicate and test only for the failed test.
When failing for residual solvents you are allowed to remediate and resubmit your sample in duplicate.
Potency tests do not qualify for retesting under the current guidance from OCP. If you feel your potency results are erroneous, reach out to the OCP and attempt to receive special approval to have potency retested.
How much sample should I send for each test?
In general, each individual test will require about 1g of flower, 0.5 g of concentrate, or a single serving of an edible (or 1g, depending on the size/form of the edible product) For Adult-Use sample sizing, please refer to this info from the OCP: ...
Can I send my samples in the mail?
In general, samples must be picked up or dropped off by a courier authorized to transport cannabis. Exceptions exist for non-THC containing samples: Hemp for any test may be submitted by mail Fan leaves used in HLVd and sex testing can be submitted ...
How to start testing with Nova Labs
If you are a totally new customer to Nova Labs, you'll first want to fill out the Onboarding Form found on our website - there you'll enter your contact info, and info about your business and license. After filling this out, you'll receive a welcome ...